Propolis is highly anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungi bee product. Bees pick resin from flower buds and harmed trees, add their enzymes and pad their bee hive with the mixture. Resin is already an anti-fungi, anti-bacterial substance, it also scares bugs and other animals. But what bees do with it is a true miracle – read below.
Propolis’s smell is to die for, it is like a super concentrated honey. But don’t be fulled – it is not for eating! We, people, have to make it less concentrated to be able to ingest it. Otherwise we can use it externally.
Propolis is good for number of, not only health, challenges:
- High concentration (straight from bee hive) should cure wart within 2 weeks.
- Few drops of propolis tincture in tea will help you fight cold.
- When your throat aches for days spray propolis tincture straight into your throat and relief will be immediate. If it is a child’s throat put few drops of propolis tincture on a spoon of sugar.
- It is very successful against bronchitis.
- You can read about cases of broken bones, or bones after removing teeth, never curing and only starting to heal after applying propolis.
- When your hands are super dry and ruined – cover hands with propolis. Be aware that propolis dies yellow! It is because propolis leaves a protective layer on skin. So your hands will be yellow for a week.
- Propolis is used on burned skin – it helps to heal and protects.
- Use regular propolis, or propolis tincture, on very damaged skin parts, for instance damaged after freezing.
- Use it to preserve and enhance cosmetics.
And besides that, making it is a joke!
||Clean propolis: Spread propolis over a sheet of paper and look through it for bugs, bigger pieces of plants, other awkward items – remove them. Drop rest of propolis into a jar.|
||Tincturize: Pour over propolis 96% alcohol only until just after you cover it fully. Forget about it for 1-3 months. You can occasionally shake the jar a bit to mix slightly or control how it goes.|
||1st filtering: Put fennel over your jar, cover it with several layers of gauze – so the wholes in it are super tiny – and pour propolis over it so only a clean liquid drops to the jar – dropping process will last for some time if layers were tight. After first filtering there will still be a moosh on bottom. Dispose the cloths and let the fennel dry.|
|2nd filtering: Filter again the same way you did before. Now the liquid is clean.|
||Jar propolis: Move the contents to your final container – usually using a smaller fennel. Suggested is a dark glass bottle with dropper.|
|Save the jars for next time – they are sterilized with propolis and alcohol so you can just close them.|
|How to use|
|Drop 5 drops into hot tea, drink slowly|
|Drop few drops onto sour cabbage, eat for sickness|
|Add 5-10 drops into a small dose of a homemade cream, to preserve it|
|Drop 1 drop onto a wound, to sterilize|
|Spray twice into hurting throat, feel the cure|
|Into 1/2 tsp on honey drop 5 drops of propolis, swallow and feel the curing heat|
A tiny bee can try to pull out a piece of resin for hours, flying bravely up-down to finally get a bite, and then fly back with it to its beehive. If it is already late and hard resin is stuck to its tiny legs then the bee has to wait outside, “on the porch” of beehive, until the next day’s midday sun again melts it and bees from the hive can help to release the bee from the resin chains. Then another bee takes over and somewhat “chews” on the picked resin to add precious enzymes, also for hours. Then bees stuff the transformed resin throughout beehive’s inside. Propolis protects the beehive from insects, intruders, from fungi, bacteria and viruses. If an intruder will invade a beehive he will be glued to a wall and stay there forever like a mummy in Egypt.
Why I don’t grind propolis
Because bees make mistakes and sometimes they pick fresh paint from fences – don’t want that in tincture. Also propolis is used by bees to lock intruders into walls of beehive and those we do not want as well. If we would grind them we would decrease propolis’s quality. But if we don’t, everything is left on the filtering cloth.
You should definitely experiment with propolis : alcohol ratio. This recipe is for a strong propolis tincture, meaning there is a lot f propolis.
 Bees and people, Irena Gumowska